Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The heat.... burns your legs...

I don't think I have mentioned the heat recently. After a cold winter (about 8 weeks of sweater weather with several days of rain, and a freezing house as floors all tiles and no central heating) the weather warmed up gradually.

But now it is HOT! 40 degrees Celcius + everyday. Today is 48.

Everything is air-conditioned so you aren't really feeling it too much, but when it is school pickup time the heat hits hard. The worst I find is when the children are getting into the car and you are making sure everyone is buckled up. I am left standing on the street and the heat from the sun combined with the heat radiating from the road is just unbelievable. There are times when it actually feels like my legs are burning.

But I shouldn't complain. I have it easy compared to so many of the workers here who have to work out in the heat all day long. There has been a few articles in the paper highlighting a gov't policy that says during this heat manual laborers are supposed to be rested between 12:30 and 4:30 pm - but showed pictures of people still out working in the full sun. It is true to say that the heat and conditions are extreme!

No comments: