Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Dangerous driving

Further to my previous note on driving with a cell phone, we had visitors from the UK. And in the five days that they were here, they saw a major accident on the road everyday.

It is amazing how commonplace it is here. I have seen two today! Both with fairly significant car damage.

When I took my kids over Easter holidays to visit the UK, my 6 year old son commented on how calm the traffic was and how he didn't see any wrecked cars...

In the paper the other day it mentioned a case of a 20 year old local driver who drove up behind a car at 140kph in an 80 zone, flashing his lights for the other car to move, but there was no where for him to move. When he finally did move to the right (between two trucks) the local driver followed, ramming into the other car, which smashed it into the truck in front killing the passenger immediately and seriously injuring the driver, who had to be airlifted to hospital.

The local driver has pleaded not guilty. From the article it appeared the the driver probably wouldn't be sentenced, but would be required to pay "blood money".

While the road campaigns to improve driving here has helped, there are still to many drivers, in big Land Cruisers, who just ignore the traffic situation they are in. I am not a slow driver, but I adjust to the conditions around me. These drivers don't.

No comments: